Row Pacific 2019 Updates

This page will post links and updates, from Charlie Martell and the Row Pacific 2019 Challenge, that Leadership Challenges is proud to support.

The tracker below, is live from Charlie’s boat, Blossom, showing their current position.

 

MAY 23, 2019

At 07.00 UK time this morning, Charlie Martell departed from Japan and began his epic journey. Follow his progress here, with news as we get it from the Pacific.

Approximately 5,083 miles and 1.9 million oar strokes to go before he will become the first person to row land to land solo across the Pacific Ocean, from west to east.

Charlie and Blossom set off from Japan.

Charlie and Blossom set off from Japan.

MAY 22, 2019

Charlie has now gone through the process of clearing immigration and customs, preparing for his departure once the storm has cleared through.

Charlie, preparing to launch ‘Blossom’.

Charlie, preparing to launch ‘Blossom’.

MAY 21, 2019

Update on the weather from Charlie, in Choshi, Japan - there are still strong winds and lots of rain, as can be see in the image below, but once this storm passes the weather is looking more favourable and should allow him to begin his expedition. Hopefully by the end of this week. More updates soon.

IMG_7888.JPG

MAY 11, 2019

While Charlie is waiting for the weather to be more favourable, he’s shared his exact start position, for any navigators out there, who want to plot where he is.

Blossom’s exact position in Japan.

Blossom’s exact position in Japan.

MAY 10, 2019

WEATHER DELAY: Over the last 48 hours we have been keeping a really close eye on the weather window which we hoped would be suitable for Charlie to launch into. We were targeting a patch of light winds offering Charlie a 48 hour period to get off the coastline of Japan and into the Kuroshio current. However, in the last couple of days the weather models have converged on a forecast which has the weather systems moving a little faster than forecasted earlier in the week and so instead of 48 hours Charlie would have only had 24 hours to get off the coast before being pushed back by NE winds of up to 20 knots which are too strong for him to row into. There is also a strong storm forecast to arrive in about a week with sustained winds up to 40 knot, gusting winds of more than 50 knots and peak waves exceeding 27ft. Moreover after this storm has passed there will be a reliable period of following wind providing Charlie with a great opportunity to get underway. We can't choose the weather for Charlie for the whole of the row but we can choose what he has to face in the first week or so. Delaying removes the risk of being pushed back before making it to the current, removes the risks posed by this storm arriving in a week and gives Charlie another few days of tinker time to get everything onboard perfect before heading off. 

This message overnight from Japan, could mean a delay in departure of around 7 days. We’ll keep you posted!

The approaching weather front as of May 10, 2019

The approaching weather front as of May 10, 2019

MAY 9, 2019

During Charlie’s preparations for departure today, he sent a text to Chris Evan’s breakfast show which resulted in an interview, live on Virgin Radio - they’ve now promised to follow his journey and speak to him en route. You can play the clip below.

MAY 7, 2019

Charlie is currently heading back out to Japan, to make final preparations. The weather is looking promising for his departure on Friday or Saturday this week, so updates will be posted here as we get them.

APRIL 27, 2019

Japan has begun a Golden holiday to mark the abdication of Emperor Akihito on April 30th. He will be the first Japanese Emperor to do so in over 200 years. Because of this Charlie’s departure may be delayed until after the national holiday ends on May 6th.

APRIL 26, 2019

This is one of the wind models being monitored to decide when it’s safe for Charlie’s departure from Chosi - it shows a good wind strength but it would push him too far South, when he needs to push East with a hint of North.

D5FN6tEWkAAou7P.jpg

APRIL 24, 2019

Blossom, Charlie’s boat (pictured above at the top of this page), is ready on the dock side on Japan, but the weather isn’t looking good for the next few days, so Charlie is waiting for the right window to set off. The tracker below shows the exact position of the boat now.

APRIL 23, 2019

St Georges Day, and preparations are progressing well in Chosi in Japan, but departure won’t be tomorrow as Charlie has originally planned.